Neighbors, Partners and Friends:
I hope that you are well. Here are my updates for 2/26/2021:
- Building and Zoning: Thanks for those who attended last night’s South Side Roundtable. Attached are the files from Assistant Director Celebrezze’s presentation. Please share your thoughts with the zoning code update, the survey is here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/98FT8H5 If you have any follow up questions, feel free to reach out to me. If you weren’t able to attend the roundtable, you can watch the recording here: https://cocmeetings.webex.com/webappng/sites/cocmeetings/recording/4deffb6664ff41f7ade9577a2c74e11f/playback
- COVID 19 Vaccine: Columbus Public Health is continuing to offer Opportunity Clinics for residents in specific zip codes (see attached). The February 26th and March 5th CPH Opportunity Clinics are Now Full. Please call back or register online on Monday, March 8th from 10:30 – 2:30 when we will begin scheduling for the Friday, March 12th CPH Opportunity Clinic. Call: 614-645-6444, M-F, 10:30am – 2:30pm Email: email@example.com
- New Website: A new website, http://www.cbusareacommissions.org, was launched by the Department of Neighborhoods to provide all residents with up-to-date information on Columbus’ 21 Area Commissions. Visit http://www.cbusareacommissions.org “To have strong neighborhoods, we must have engaged residents. Columbus’ 21 Area Commission are a vital link to ensure our neighborhoods have a strong voice at City Hall. This new website is an important next step to boost awareness and ensure even more residents are at the table when Commissions make recommendations” said Carla Williams-Scott, Director of the Department of Neighborhoods.
- Video from CLO Peck: Officer Scott Peck is covering Pct 13 for CLO Stacy. He’s shared a video about personal safety, with some book recommendations – you can watch it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DgoOXeS8VKZg_UjFrmo2YGZTiHWWXXkF/view?usp=sharing
- Urban Forestry Master Plan draft: Columbus Recreation and Parks Department’s new Urban Forestry Master Plan is the first citywide, strategic plan to invest long-term in Columbus’ trees. Over the next decades, the Urban Forestry Master Plan will serve as a blueprint for revitalizing our urban forest and strategically investing in neighborhoods where trees will do the most good. Let us know what you think! Read the draft plan and share your comments online. https://www.columbusufmp.org/get-involved.html The deadline to share your comments is Wednesday, March 31.
- Summer Camps: CRPD has a new site for all summer camps. It’s time to register! https://crpdcamps.com/
- Free Produce: Next dates for produce are 3/5 at Scioto Southland and 3/25 at Marion Franklin. For more dates and locations, visit https://www.golunch.club/
- City Council Districting FAQ: If you have any questions about the districting process, here’s the link with information and timeline – www.columbus.gov/districtingcommission
- Columbus City Schools: Columbus City Schools will transition students in grades 6-12 to Blended Learning in March. Dates are set for students to return to classrooms with grade levels phased-in March 15 and 22. Visit https://www.ccsoh.us/Page/9035 for more information. For informational videos on returning to the classroom, visit: https://www.ccsoh.us/Page/9199 For questions or concerns, contact the Superintendent’s Office of Customer Relations at (614) 365-8888 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Tax Help:
a. Nationwide Children’s Hospital has expanded their Free Tax Prep Clinics: Eligible households must earn under $65,000 in 2020 to file their taxes for free. Their new website: http://www.614filefree.org has detailed information on what to bring to an appointment and COVID procedures. Schedule an appointment by calling 614-623-0081, email: Amarie.Matthews@nationwidechildrens.org or going to: https://614filefree.org/contact-us/
b. United Way is coordinating Free Tax Clinics as well but all appointments are being done virtually. Scheduling is via 211. https://www.taxtimecentralohio.org/
c. VITA is offering free tax preparations at Marion Franklin Recreation Center. For appointments, call 614-727-4701. Please leave your name and number one time and they will call you back. In addition 211 is scheduling sites.
- South Side Neighborhood Leadership Academy Applications: Apply to be part of the South Side Neighborhood Leadership Academy: https://communitydevelopmentforallpeop.regfox.com/south-side-neighborhood-leadership-academy-class-of-2021-application The South Side is a vibrant community, with rich diversity and a strong history. The South Side Neighborhood Leadership Academy will equip participants with the relationships, knowledge, skills, and abilities to help the South Side continue to thrive. Upon completion of the program, graduates will use what they have learned to achieve transformative change in South Side communities. We seek participants that aspire toward a safe, opportunity-rich South Side that maximizes diversity, builds relationships, secures and advances current residents, all while maintaining the unique fabric of the community. Applications must be submitted by March 19, 2021.
- USPS: I reached out to Congresswoman Beatty’s office about some of the neighborhood complaints about USPS. They shared that if you are having issues about mail service, please call the USPS Consumer Affairs line at 513-684-5794. USPS is constantly hiring to try and make sure all the routes are covered. If one person calls off, that requires a substitute, and that sub may be pulling double duty resulting in late, late mail. However, those concerns should still be directed to Consumer Affairs. There may be an underlying issue which they can then try to address. Just as a reminder, please sign up for informed delivery to get an email about what packages or mailings are on the way. https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action
- Social Work hotline: 614-645-6807 Please call if you need assistance.
- Save the date for our March Roundtable: Save the date! Weds. March 24, 5:30 p.m. Our subject of focus in March will be Safety. Email email@example.com to receive the webex calendar link.
Have a great week!
Beth Fairman Kinney, MPA