Map of Area Commission Boundaries
WE ARE BACK TO MEETING IN PERSON. PLEASE JOIN US @ Barack Recreation Center 580 E. Woodrow Ave. 43206
6:30pm to 8pm
Fourth Tuesday of each month
2nd Saturday, 10:00 am
JULY 2021: Meeting will begin at 1599 Alum Creek Dr. 43209
Neighborhood Pride Center
South Side Neighborhood Pride Center
280 Reeb Avenue, Room 021
Follow us on social media!
1. Z21-048: 1599 Alum Creek Dr.
2. CV21-072: 359 Frebis Ave.
- **Zoning Information/Help**
The purpose of this Commission is to afford additional voluntary citizen participation in decision making in an advisory capacity to the City Administration and City Council as provided by C.C. Section 3109.01 and to facilitate communication, understanding and cooperation among citizens, neighborhood groups, city officials, city staff and other stakeholders by performing those functions and duties set forth in C.C. Section 3109.14. The Commission shall not endorse any candidate for Public office.
- Adam Cohn: District 1 – Schumacher Place (Committee Chair – Public Relations)
- Rachel Robinson: District 2 – Southern Orchards
- Tom Less: District 3 – Merion Village (Committee Chair – Safety, Health, Welfare, and Equity)
- Ted Welch: District 4 – Edgewood, Ganthers Place, Southside CAN, Thurman Square
- April Tisby: District 5 – Deshler Park
- Jim Griffin: District 6 – Vassor Village (Chair)
- Cassaundra Patterson: District 7 – Innis Gardens (Treasurer)
- Paula Copeland: District 8 – Hungarian Village (Secretary)
- Lillie Banner: District 9 – Reeb-Hosack
- Curtis Davis: At-Large Business (Committee Chair – Zoning)
- Mike Alcock: At-Large Education (Committee Chair – Education)
- Liliana Rivera Baiman: At-Large Labor
- Aaron Hopkins: At-Large Religious & Social Services
- Kathy Green: At-Large Parsons Area Merchants Association
- Erin Synk: At-Large Resident (Vice Chair, Committee Chair – Public Services)
- Yeshua Cosme: At-Large Youth
The Executive Committee serves to prepare the agenda for the Commission’s monthly meeting. The Committee may also schedule any special meetings and agendas as needed. The Committee meets monthly on the Saturday prior to the CSSAC regularly meeting.
The 2020-21 Chairperson of the SouthSide Area Commission: Jim Griffin
The Public Relations Committee conducts all public relations activities, including but not limited to establishing media contacts, advertising the existence of the Commission, coordinating news and press releases, newsletters, and correspondence. The Committee aids in the development of the community identity and shall promote the active cooperation and participation of all segments of the Commission Area, including residents, organizations, associations, businesses and institutions.
The 2020-21 Chairperson of the Election Committee is: Adam Cohn
The Election Committee shall conduct elections pursuant to the commission’s election rules and shall meet as often as necessary to fulfill its duties as specified in the rules.
The 2020-21 Chairperson of the Election Committee is: Paula Copeland
Zoning, Building and Housing
The Zoning, Building and Housing Committee reviews copies of applications for rezoning, special permits, variances, demolitions, Zoning appeals. The Zoning Committee meets the second Saturday of each month at 10:00 AM at the site(s) of the pending zoning application, or at the direction of the Zoning Chair. For more detailed information on the Zoning, Building and Housing Committee please see CSSAC by-laws pages 10B and pages 23 and 24, Addendum B, CSSAC Zoning Policy.
JULY 2021: Meeting will begin at 1599 Alum Creek Dr. 43209 at 10am EST
The 2020-21 Chairperson of the Zoning, Building and Housing Committee is: Curtis Davis
Public Services and Planning
The Public Services and Planning Committee serves to review the adequacy and operation of all public services, including but not limited to utilities, safety, infrastructure, health, parks and emergency response, provided by the City and other public agencies to the Commission Area, and recommends priorities and improvements. The Committee meets monthly on the second Thursday.
The 2020-21 Chairperson of the Public Services Committee is: Erin Synk
The Education Committee reviews existing pertinent area plans and make recommendations for comprehensive education development of the Commission area. The Committee shall examine local legislation, school plans and issues affecting the Commission area and develop means for citizen participation in education decisions, which affect the Commission area. The Committee will also regularly receive, review, and make recommendations at the Commission meetings on all education issues pertaining to the Commission area. Please see page 13E of the CSSAC By-laws located on this website for more detailed information.
The 2020-21 Chairperson of the Education Committee is: Mike Alcock
Safety, Heath, Welfare and Equity
The Safety, Health, Welfare, and Equity (SHWE) Committee serves to promote all these topics on the South Side. The Committee provides training recommendations, serving as a forum for advancing equity and social justice concerns, advocating for responsible community policing and safety for all south siders, and connecting these topics to the other committees. The Committee also maintains a connection with the Reimagining Public Safety effort by the City of Columbus. Meetings are held monthly on the fourth Thursday.
Recent Posts about Southside
- United Way SurveyPandemic Survey: Please take a moment to fill out the United Way of Central Ohio’s Pandemic Impact Survey. This survey […]
- GCAC Neighborhood Arts Connection FellowshipThe Greater Columbus Arts Council, in collaboration with the city of Columbus, will select one neighborhood in the city each […]
- Walk in For RecoveryTuesdays & Wednesdays, Summer 2021 If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction to drugs or alcohol, we […]